The listed building of the former Sint Catharina girls' grammar
school - that became the Jacob van Maerlantlyceum, a mixed grammar
school, in 1968 - was designed in 1952 by the architectural firm of
De Jongh, Taen en Nix. Various subject-related classrooms are
situated around a large central hall. These are accessed by a
spaciously-designed system of corridors, staircases and study
areas. The organisation of this "hall school" as it is called stems
from the Dalton system, an educational system characterised by a
high measure of self-motivation. The building has been extended
several times over the years, the main volume, however, is still
largely in its original state.
The building is symmetrical in design: it has four floors and flat roofs. The brickwork façades end in a decorated concrete cornice. The façades have steel casings with a simple concrete or brick frame. The central hall has a glass roof and a number of valuable works of art. The hall school has great cultural-historical value as an example of the post-war reconstruction period.
Bierman Henket architecten developed a renovation plan and supervised the implementation. In the classrooms the steel frames were replaced with aluminium restoration profiles with insulating glass: the steel casings in the general areas were restored. Fire safety was improved. The roof was insulated and, following a colour study, the original colours were restored in the general areas.
Cauberg-Huygen raadgevende ingenieurs
Fire Safety Assistance
Sweegers en de Bruijn
Van Puijenbroek Installaties bv
Sweegers bv electrotechnish buro
Buytels Bouwbedrijf bv
Jacob van Maerlantlaan 11
5615 JS Eindhoven